Dentistry on wheels

Shenoy, Ramya and Rao , Ashwini and *, Rajesh G and Pai , Mithun B. H (2013) Dentistry on wheels. Journal of International Oral Health , 2 (2).

[img] PDF
Abstract 4[1].pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (265kB) | Request a copy
[img] Image (JPEG)
poster 4.JPG - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (89kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

In India about 30% of the population live in urban areas and the rest 70% in the rural areas whereas 70% of the dentists practice in urban areas and we also seldom find dental offices in rural areas except for the few government establishments, which lack the required infrastructure. Added to this lack of unawareness about dental diseases in rural population makes fully equipped mobile dental clinics to provide effective dental care to the door steps of the underprivileged, rural population is the need of the hour. However, the implementation and management of these programs can be challenging. The advantages being moderate start up charges, decreased missed appointments, services at multiple site and services to needy population. But the disadvantages will be high maintenance cost, difficult to store patient record, provide limited services, follow-up difficult and requires permission for site to keep and operate. Most importantly, this may reduce the major disparities in oral health status and inequities in access to oral health care, while providing the highest caliber of dentistry for patients in a highly efficient manner.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Mobile dental clinic, Rural population, Inverse care law.
Subjects: Dentistry > MCODS Mangalore > Public Health Dentistry
Depositing User: KMCMLR User
Date Deposited: 02 Aug 2013 06:51
Last Modified: 02 Aug 2013 06:51
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/136723

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item