Multidrug Resistant Gram-negative Bacilli in Lower Respiratory tract Infections

Vishwanath, Shashidhar and Chawla, Kiran and Gopinathan, Anusha (2013) Multidrug Resistant Gram-negative Bacilli in Lower Respiratory tract Infections. Iranian Journal of Microbiology, 5 (4). pp. 323-327.

[img] PDF
IJM MDR 2013.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (365kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Background: Lower respiratory tract infections are among important causes of morbidity and mortality for all age groups. The emergence of multidrug resistant Gram-negative bacilli is an issue of increasing concern. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study including respiratory specimens (sputum and BAL) was conducted in our tertiary care centre. Samples were processed for microscopy, culture and susceptibility testing following standard methods. Multidrug resistant Gram-negative bacilli causing lower respiratory tract infections were studied for their causation of disease. The effect of appropriate treatment on clinical outcome was observed. Results: A total of 472 Gram-negative pathogens were isolated from sputum and broncho-alveolar lavage fluid specimens during the study period. Among these Gram-negative pathogens 175 (37%) were found to be multidrug resistant. Klebsiella pneumoniae 85 (48.6%) and Acinetobacter spp. 59 (33.7%) were the predominant multidrug resistant Gram-negative bacilli isolated. Based on clinico-microbiological correlation, 138 (78.9%) multidrug resistant isolates were found to be pathogenic and the rest 37 (21.1%) were considered as colonizers. After initiating appropriate antibiotic therapy, clinical improvement was seen in 110 (79.7%) patients. In the patients who showed improvement, amikacin (34.3%) and cefoperazone-sulbactum (21.8%) were found to be the most effective drugs. Conclusion: A large majority of the isolated multidrug resistant Gram-negative bacilli were found to be pathogenic. Regular surveillance which directs appropriate empirical therapy; and good clinic-microbiological workup of each case of lower respiratory tract infection can reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with multidrug resistant organisms.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Acinetobacter spp.; Gram-negative bacilli; Klebsiella pneumoniae; Lower respiratory infection; Multidrug resistance
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Manipal > Microbiology
Depositing User: KMC Manipal
Date Deposited: 15 Jan 2014 06:26
Last Modified: 15 Jan 2014 06:26
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/138349

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item