MU Digital Repository
Logo

Clinical profile and complication ofmalaria hepatopathy

*, Abul Fazil and Vernekar, Pradeep V. and Geriani, Disha and Pant, Sadip and *, Subramanian Senthilkumaran and Anwar, Naureen and Prabhu, Asha and Menezes, Ritesh G. (2013) Clinical profile and complication ofmalaria hepatopathy. Journal of Infection and Public Health, 6. pp. 383-388.

[img] PDF
zClinical profile and complication of malaria hepatopathy.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (666kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

falciparumSummaryBackground: This study was designed to study the patient characteristics, presentingfeatures and complications of malaria in patients with elevated liver enzymes andto compare these data to those of patients with normal liver enzymes.Methods: A convenient sample of 100 patients with malaria was selected from threetertiary care referral hospitals. Study subjects were divided into two groups: (1)patients (controls) with normal liver enzymes and (2) patients (cases) with >3 timesthe normal liver enzymes in the absence of an alternate explanation for such ele-vation. Patient characteristics, presenting features and complications of malariain these two groups were studied. Data were collected using a semi-structuredpretested proforma and were analyzed using the statistical analysis program SPSS,version 11.5 (SPSS, Inc., Chicago, IL).Results: The mean ages were 38.12 years for the cases and 35.20 years for thecontrols with a non-significant p value of 0.289. Males composed 82% of the casesthat were diagnosed with malarial hepatopathy; the remaining 18% were females.Falciparum malaria was present in 56% of the cases, compared to 12% of the controls.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Malaria;Malarial hepatopathy;Malarial hepatitis;Liver function tests;Plasmodium falciparum
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Mangalore > Medicine
Depositing User: KMCMLR User
Date Deposited: 05 Mar 2014 06:54
Last Modified: 05 Mar 2014 06:54
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/139011

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item