Variations in the Pulmonary Venous Ostium in the Left Atrium and Its Clinical Importance

Prasanna, LC and Praveena, R and D’Souza, Antony Sylvan and Bhat, Kumar MR (2014) Variations in the Pulmonary Venous Ostium in the Left Atrium and Its Clinical Importance. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 8 (2). pp. 10-11.

[img] PDF
pulm artery.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (225kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Introduction:During early embryonic development, absorption of pulmonary venous network by the left primitive atrial chamber results in opening of four pulmonary veins which drain independently into its chamber. The extent of absorption and hence, the number of pulmonary veins which open into the left atrium, may vary. As only few studies have been done, which have shown such variations, the present study was done to evaluate the possible variations in the pulmonary veins which opened into the left atrium. Materials and Methods:Fifty formalin fixed adult cadaveric hearts were studied for variations in the opening of the pulmonary veins into left atrium.results:Our results showed that 68% of the hearts which were studied, showed usual pattern of 2 pulmonary veins on either side,while remaining 32 % hearts showed variations in the number of pulmonary veins which opened. 12% of the hearts showed 2 left and 3 right pulmonary veins, 14% of hearts showed 2 left and 1 right veins, 4% hearts showed 1 left and 2 right veins and 2% hearts showed 1 left and 4 right pulmonary veins opening into the left atrium. conclusion:Knowledge on such variations gains significance in isolation for radiofrequency ablation as a treatment for atrial fibrillation.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Pulmonary ostia; Atrial fibrillation; Radiofrequency ablation; Veins of left atrium
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Manipal > Anatomy
Depositing User: KMC Manipal
Date Deposited: 04 Apr 2014 11:28
Last Modified: 04 Apr 2014 11:28
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/139309

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item