Intuitive weights of harm for therapeutic decision making in smear-negative pulmonary Tuberculosis: an interview study of physicians in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh

Reddy, Chandrashekhar T Sreerama and *, Mahbubur Rahman and *, Harsha Kumar HN and Shah, Mohsin and *, Ahmed Manadir Hossain and *, Abu Sayem Md and Moreira, Juan M and *, Jef Van den Ende (2014) Intuitive weights of harm for therapeutic decision making in smear-negative pulmonary Tuberculosis: an interview study of physicians in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 14 (67). pp. 2-9.

[img] PDF
Smear_Negative_TB.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (326kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Background: To estimate the amount of regret and weights of harm by omission and commission during therapeutic decisions for smear-negative pulmonary Tuberculosis. Methods: An interviewer-administered survey was done among young physicians in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh with a previously used questionnaire. The physicians were asked to estimate probabilities of morbidity and mortality related with disease and treatment and intuitive weights of omission and commission for treatment of suspected pulmonary Tuberculosis. A comparison with weights based on literature data was made. Results: A total of 242 physicians completed the interview. Their mean age was 28 years, 158 (65.3%) were males. Median probability (%) of mortality and morbidity of disease was estimated at 65% (inter quartile range [IQR] 50-75) and 20% (IQR 8-30) respectively. Median probability of morbidity and mortality in case of occurrence of side effects was 15% (IQR 10-30) and 8% (IQR 5-20) respectively. Probability of absolute treatment mortality was 0.7% which was nearly eight times higher than 0.09% reported in the literature data. The omission vs. commission harm ratios based on intuitive weights, weights calculated with literature data, weights calculated with intuitive estimates of determinants adjusted without and with regret were 3.0 (1.4-5.0), 16 (11-26), 33 (11-98) and 48 (11-132) respectively. Thresholds based on pure regret and hybrid model (clinicians’ intuitive estimates and regret) were 25 (16.7-41.7), and 2(0.75-7.5) respectively but utility-based thresholds for clinicians’ estimates and literature data were 2.9 (1-8.3) and 5.9 (3.7-7.7) respectively. Conclusion: Intuitive weight of harm related to false-negatives was estimated higher than that to false-positives. The mortality related to treatment was eightfold overestimated. Adjusting expected utility thresholds for subjective regret had little effect.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Tuberculosis, Treatment morbidity and mortality, Medical decision making, South Asia
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Mangalore > Community Medicine
Depositing User: KMCMLR User
Date Deposited: 27 Mar 2015 10:55
Last Modified: 27 Mar 2015 10:55
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/142264

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item