MU Digital Repository
Logo

The bacterial profile of the postoperative wound infection in a South Indian hospital.

*, Jnaneshwara KB. and Singh, Eshwar R and *, Lava R. and *, Murlimanju BV (2015) The bacterial profile of the postoperative wound infection in a South Indian hospital. International Journal of Pharmaceutical, Chemical and Biological Sciences, 5 (3). pp. 676-682. ISSN 2249-9504

[img] PDF
26-5125.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (184kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Aim: Postoperative wound infection is a severe problem in the surgical specialties, which can cause mortality, morbidity and economic burden. Objectives of the present study were to study the frequency of various types of bacteria and their antibiotic susceptibility in the postoperative infected wounds at a South Indian hospital. Methods: The present study included one hundred cases of samples of infected postoperative wounds which were subjected to the culture and sensitivity. The bacteria were diagnosed by the standard microbiological methods. Results: The present study observed that there were about 111 bacteria which were isolated from the postoperative wound samples. Among them, 32.4% were gram positive cocci and the remaining 67.6% were gram negative bacilli. The most common bacteria isolated was E. coli (24.3%) followed by the S. aureus (21.6%) and Pseudomonas spp (20.6%). All among the gram positive cocci showed uniform susceptibility to the vancomycin. The E. coli showed maximum susceptibility to amikacin and chloramphenicol. Ampicillin was the most ineffective drug against the gram negative bacilli. Klebsiellaspp displayed maximum resistance to the antibiotics including aminoglycosides, fluoroquinolones and third generation cephalosporins. Pseudomonas spp exhibited maximum susceptibility to polymyxin B. Conclusion: We suggest that it is advisable to scrutinize the postoperative wound infection in each and every hospital to evolve the control strategies. Using the suitable antibiotics, taking aseptic precautions and keeping good hygiene have to be strictly applied to all the surgical cases to reduce the postoperative wound infections.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Postoperative wound, E. coli, Antimicrobial susceptibility, Multidrug resistance.
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Mangalore > Anatomy
Depositing User: KMCMLR User
Date Deposited: 31 Jul 2015 07:16
Last Modified: 31 Jul 2015 07:16
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/143688

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item