Time kill kinetic analysis of anticandidal efficacy among topical formulations for diaper dermatitis

Peralam Yegneswaran, Prakash and Bairy, Indira (2012) Time kill kinetic analysis of anticandidal efficacy among topical formulations for diaper dermatitis. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, 20 (15). pp. 1-3. ISSN 2230 – 7885

[img] PDF
Doc 18 - 32. Diaper dermatits study.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (812kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Background: Irritant diaper dermatitis is a localized form of contact dermatitis often complicated by the primary as well as secondary involvement of colonizer yeasts predominantly the Candida albicans. AIMS: To assess the anticandidal activity of Miconazole Nitrate, Clotrimazole, Terbinafine HCl, Benzalkonium Chloride and Cetrimide in their pure and cream based topical formulations. Materials and methods: An invitro time kill kinetic investigation is carried out to obtain the pre clinical pharmacodynamic activity of pure and cream based topical formulations of diaper dermatitis against Candida albicans. Candidal cell viability at contact intervals of 5 sec, 30 sec and 1, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 120 min with the test formulations determined. Statistical analysis: The data obtained were analyzed using graph pad prism 5.0 and time kill kinetics plotted. Results: Miconazole nitrate, Terbinafine HCl and Clotrimazole in pure and cream based form (miconazole nitrate 0.25% , terbinafine HCl 0.15% and clotrimazole 0.15%) could bring in a 0.5 % log 10 cfu/ml reduction in 10, 30, 15 min respectively. Quaternary ammonium compounds cetrimide and benzalkonium chloride when tested independently had 0.5% log 10 cfu/ml reduction in 30 min. Benzalkonium chloride 0.01% + cetrimide 0.20% combination in cream base form had log 10 cfu/ml reduction in 5 min. Conclusion: A combination cream based formulation of Benzalkonium chloride (0.01%) and Cetrimide (0.20%) were observed to have significant anticandidal activity.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Diaper dermatitis; Anticandidal activity; Candida; Topical agents; Time kill kinetics.
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Manipal > Microbiology
Depositing User: KMC Library
Date Deposited: 16 Dec 2015 11:33
Last Modified: 16 Dec 2015 11:33
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/144819

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item