A Retrospective Study of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy among Patients with Diabetes Mellitus at a Tertiary Care Hospital in South India

Patil, Jyothsna and Satyam, Shakta Mani and Kumar, Naveen and Amzar, Muhammad and Hafizi, Muhammad Arief and Nolhak, Norfanan and Selvaraj, Uthaya Kumar (2016) A Retrospective Study of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy among Patients with Diabetes Mellitus at a Tertiary Care Hospital in South India. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical, 7 (3). pp. 1825-1828. ISSN 0975-8585

[img] PDF
549 DisplayPdf.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (732kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Diabetes mellitus is characterized by high blood sugar level. The prevalence of type 2 diabetes is higher compared to type 1. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) is the most common complication of diabetes mellitus. The aim of the study was to determine the prevalence of peripheral neuropathy among patients with diabetes mellitus at tertiary hospital in South India. Detailed study of medical records of 42 diabetic patients of tertiary care hospital was carried out. Categorization with respect to gender and type of diabetes was made. Patients diagnosed with neuropathy were further investigated based on the prevalence of symptoms. Data obtained from the study were expressed in percentage. Out of 42 diabetic mellitus patients 25 (60%) of them were females and 17 (40%) of them were males. Out of 25 female diabetic mellitus patients, 23 (92%) of them had type 2 diabetes mellitus while remaining 2 (8%) had type 1 diabetes mellitus. All male had type 2 diabetes mellitus. 12 out of 42 (29%) patients had diabetic per pheral neuropathy symptoms. In which, 9 (75%) of them were females and the remaining 3 (25%) were males. The symptoms seen in them were burning pain, numbness, muscle cramp, pricking pain, muscle weakness, foot ulcer, sensitive to touch and vertigo.Incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus was higher. Peripheral Neuropathy was also mostly associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus. The most common symptoms seen were numbness and burning pain.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Diabetes; Neuropathy; Numbness; Burning pain
Subjects: Medicine > MMMC Manipal > Anatomy
Medicine > MMMC Manipal > Pharmacology
Depositing User: KMC Library
Date Deposited: 12 May 2016 09:17
Last Modified: 12 May 2016 09:17
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/146040

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item