MU Digital Repository
Logo

Study and evaluation of medication errors in a multidisciplinary tertiary care South Indian teaching hospital

Acharya, Leelavathi D and Shareef, Javed and Rao, Padma GM (2008) Study and evaluation of medication errors in a multidisciplinary tertiary care South Indian teaching hospital. Indian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 45. pp. 54-58.

[img] PDF
137_LDA.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (500kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Medlc~tion error· can increase the cost, prolong hospital stay and increase the risk of death almost two fold. Several studies have already demonstrated that phannacist can playa major role in detection and prevention of medication errors. Presentstudy was aimed to detect and evaluate the incidence, types ofmedication errors and to assess the severity of medication errors in the medicine wards of Kasturba hospital, Manipal. Prospective:study waS carried out from October 2004 to .April 2005. Inpatient records of selected patients from eightunits ofmedicine departmentwere reviewedduring their stay in the hospital. Detected medication errors were documented and evaluated. A total of 473 patients were selected, among them 41% were females and 59% were males. 41% of them were in the age group of 40 to 60 years. 81 medication errors were detected in 67 patients. Maximum medication error (17) was detected in the month of April 2005. The overall incidence of medication errors was found to be 17%. Omission error (33%) was the most commonly observed error among the medication errors, followed by prescribing tlTOr (27%), wrong dose error (20%), unauthorized error (15%) aild wrong time error (4%). Majority of medication errors were belonging to eNS drug class (23%). On evaluation ofseverity, majority ofthe medication errors (96%) were classified as Error, No harm an;:; remaining 4% were of category No Error. This study concluded that 17% medication errors were detected during study period and revealed that phannacist can playa major role in preventing these errors by early detection.

Item Type: Article
Subjects: Pharmacy > MCOPS Manipal > Pharmacy Practice
Depositing User: KMC Manipal
Date Deposited: 11 Jul 2011 08:47
Last Modified: 11 Jul 2011 08:47
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/574

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item