MU Digital Repository
Logo

Gas geyser – A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning

*, T.S. Mohan kumar and Kanchan, Tanuj and *, K.S. Pinakini and Menezes , Ritesh G. and Singh , Manisha and Sirohi , Parmendra and Anwar , Naureen (2012) Gas geyser – A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine , 19. pp. 490-493.

[img] PDF
JFLM-Gas_geyser.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (589kB) | Request a copy

Abstract

Carbon monoxide is responsible for a large number of accidental domestic poisoning and deathsthroughout the world. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning is rarely reported in India and remains anunder recognized problem. The diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning is usually based on autopsyfindings, circumstantial evidence and estimation of carboxy-haemoglobin in blood. We report a case offatal accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in a bathroom where an LPG gas water heater was installedrecently. Cherry pink discolouration of the body and organs on autopsy suggested carbon monoxidepoisoning. Laboratory analysis of blood by UV visible spectrophotometry revealed presence of dangerouslevels of carboxy-haemoglobin. Effective preventive measures can help in bringing down the mortalityand morbidity associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Domestic accident; Carbon monoxide poisoning; Gas geyser; Carboxy-haemoglobin; Poorly ventilated bathroom
Subjects: Medicine > KMC Mangalore > Forensic Medicine
Depositing User: KMCMLR User
Date Deposited: 07 Nov 2012 06:37
Last Modified: 07 Nov 2012 06:37
URI: http://eprints.manipal.edu/id/eprint/77536

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item